Monday, January 5, 2009

Photo: HDR East Coast Style!

Multi-shot HDR of the Halifax Citadel Entrance

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year
: 2008
Camera: Canon 40D, 17-85mm L f/4-5.6 lens
Settings: ISO 320, f/5.0, 1/25 second, 24 mm
Support: hand held
Other: 3 exposures (0, -2/3, +2/3 EV)

Details: During my Christmas break I spent some time in Halifax visiting my family. When my girlfriend came down for a few days, I took her on a tour of a few spots. This is the entrance to the Halifax Citadel (an old fortress from colonial days). I took three exposures in camera RAW and used Photomatix to make this HDR photograph. However, like a fool I left my tripod at my parents place and did the three shots hand held. This happens to the best of us.

To help keep the three photographs aligned, I did the following:
  • set the camera to High Speed Continous shooting - this will allow you to press the button once (rather than 3 times) and get minimal movement
  • arms out from my body, almost locked at the elbows, help steady my arms from moving
  • ensured the camera strap is taut around my neck, steadying my camera
Hopefully these tips may help you next time you forget your tripod!

1 comment:

Corinne K. Lewandowski said...

This is Cool! Maybe we can go do some photo shoots together and you can go show me some photo tricks and tips.