Monday, January 19, 2009

Photography Tip: Fast Shutter Speeds

Come Sail Away

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Year
: 2008
Camera: Canon 40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 lens
Settings: ISO 100, f/9, 1/80 second, 73 mm
Support: hand held
Other: polarizing filter

Details: This photograph was taken while sailing with some coworkers in the summer (2008) in Lake Ontario. The crisp, clear(ish) air and the cooling breeze made for a wondering afternoon. The photograph helps me remember those moments (and hopefully prepare for the next time). The shot was taken on a moving boat (about 4-5 nautical miles per hour, if I recall correctly), so you will need a fast enough shutter speed to still the motion. In this case, I chose an f/9 aperture and ISO 100, letting the camera decide on the shutter speed (1/80 second). While it came out will, my photography tip here is that I could have been better served by selecting a faster speed (say 1/250 second) and having the camera select the aperture.

Processing: to help this photograph stand out more, I did some single file HDR processing with Photomatix (possible since I was using camera RAW).

HDR Photograph

















Original Photograph

No comments: