Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Photo: Making some Lemonade

Turn A Bad Day into a Great Shot!

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year
: 2008
Camera: Canon 40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 lens
Settings: ISO 320, f/6.3, 1/100 second, 85 mm
Support: hand held
Other: 1 exposure

Details: Sometimes we have a desire to go out and take some photographs, but the weather isn't bright and sunny and the birds are not chipping. They may, in fact, be frozen! My advice to you is to still get out there and take those photographs. A bleak, dreary day doesn't mean a you will end up with drab pictures. Especially if you have a little help with some digital processing. :)

The first photograph below is an unprocessed shot I took of the Peggy's Cove lighthouse (Nova Scotia) when I was there in December. Not the optimal day for a shot. While the composition is decent, the photograph doesn't pop.

In this case, I got some added "pop" (second photograph) with my favourite program Photomatix. The HDR processing was based on a single shot frame (possible because I used the camera RAW format). At least to me, I find this photograph much more compelling now. The lighthouse is more intense, the red light is accentuated, and the boulders feel more powerful. This could have also been done in Photoshop by removing some saturation (colour), dodging the red lighthouse top and edges of the photograph, and enhancing the red in the light.

Original Photograph















Enhanced Photograph

1 comment:

Corinne K. Lewandowski said...

Nifty! But myself I would have prefered to have more of the red colour left in the top, especially as it's a picture of a well-known site.