Thursday, November 27, 2008

HDR and a Polorizing Filter

The Steeple

Location
: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Year
: 2008
Camera: Canon 40D, 70-200mm L f/4 lens
Settings: ISO 100, f/4, 1/640 second, 70mm
Other: circular polarizing filter
Details: This was one of my first shots with the 70-200mm L lens I bought this summer. I was walking around my place taking various pictures to test the lens, including a few of this Portuguese church. I needed to have a high shutter speed as I was at 70mm, the lighting was starting to get darker, and I had a filter on. The circular polarizing filter provided an important level of contrast of the clouds to the blue sky, as well enhanced the details in the structure. The key to note with these filters: they only work properly when the sun is to the left, right, or directly overhead of the camera. If the sun is behind or ahead of the camera, they will not work well. I will post more info on these filters at a later time.
Processing: HDR processing in Photomatix. This processing was a single file HDR processing, which is only possible if you shoot in camera RAW mode (available on many DSLRs, but needs software/plug-ins that can read the file type). If shooting in JPG, I would have needed a tripod and taken at least three pictures of the scene with different exposure settings (i.e. 0, +1, -1). Many DSLRs have Exposure bracketing that will help speed this process.

No comments: